If you had the notion that tempeh was just for vegan then you need to be updated, tempeh is now being introduced on various restaurant’s menus and even in stores, that’s to tell you that there is something the world needs to know about this food. If you are clueless about what tempeh is, we’re here to help.
What is Tempeh?
Tempeh is a soy product in cake form, that is made from cooked and fermented soybeans. After fermentation, the soybeans take a block or cake form.
Tempeh originates from central or East Java, Indonesia. This is more than a thousand years ago, the first type of soybeans that was used in the making of tempeh was the black soybeans which grew there, however, this changed with the rise in importation of white/yellow soybeans
Tempeh became known in the west in 1970 and since has been available. It is majorly known as a replacement for meat in vegetarian food.
Tempeh Nutritional benefits
Tempeh is a very nutritious meal,as a result, it has numerous benefits, this is probably why it is loved by many.
|Iron||12% of the RDI|
|Calcium||9% of the RDI|
|Total fats||9 gram|
|Magnesium||18% of the RDI|
|Phosphorus||21% of the RDI|
|Riboflavin||18% of the RDI|
|Niacin||12% of the RDI|
|Manganese||54% of the RDI|
1. Contains prebiotics
Prebiotics are beneficial bacteria, they provide health benefits when eaten, it is known that fermented food contains prebiotics, and tempeh is gotten through the process of fermentation. Through fermentation, the phytic acid in soybeans is broken down and this helps to improve digestion.
Some studies also associate prebiotic with improved memory, reduce inflammation, etc. tempeh is also known to be rich in prebiotic fiber that improves the growth of beneficial bacteria in the digestive system.
3. Reduction in cholesterol level
Tempeh is known to be made from soybeans, soybeans contain a natural plant compound known as isoflavones. In a study, it was found that soy Isoflavones decreased cholesterol levels greatly. Another study was held where 42 persons were fed both soy protein and animal protein for six weeks.
Soy protein decreased LDL cholesterol by 5.7% and overall cholesterol by 4.4%. Another study was carried and this time, it was focused on tempeh, it was discovered that tempeh decreased both cholesterol and triglyceride.
3. High in protein
One cup of tempeh provides 31g of protein, this is to show that tempeh is full of protein. Some studies show that food high in protein can help in appetite control and making one get full on time.
Another study was carried out; 20 obese men were fed high protein meals that included either soy protein or meat protein. After some weeks, it was discovered that soy protein is the same as meat protein when it has to do with appetite control, weight loss.
4. Strengthens bones
Tempeh is full of nutrients that strengthen the bones. Each serving of tempeh consists of a considerable amount of calcium, phosphorus, copper, etc.
Calcium is known to be an important nutrient in structuring bones, phosphorus also is important in preserving skeletal and bone development. Many other nutrients are important in strengthening bones.
One of the top benefits of tempeh is that it is also a good source of antioxidants. Antioxidants are compounds that help fight off free radicals and damages to the cells.
While free radicals are known to cause illnesses; heart diseases cancers, disorders, etc. antioxidant is known to play a great role in combating these illnesses produced by free radicals.
Where to buy tempeh online
It’s not just enough to inform you about the benefits of tempeh, it is almost useless if you do not know where you can purchase them. We know going to the grocery store can be stressful, hence we have compiled 9 online market places you can get tempeh.
- Amazon: this is our first pick, amazon can get your tempeh to you wherever and whenever you want it, all you have to do is make the order. On Amazon, you can find many products to choose from.
- eBay: if you are looking to choose from a variety of products then you need to check eBay, you can buy in blocks and also in different sizes. You can also buy tempeh starter kits, where you can make your tempeh at home.
- Planet organic: This online store has been in existence since 1995, you will find a variety of products to choose from. Especially ready-to-cook products.
- Ocado: on Ocado, you may not be able to choose from a lot of variety, however, you can be assured to get your tempeh there. Although, recently they have been making sales to only existing registered customers. If you have been registered, then you can purchase your tempeh there.
- Ethical superstore: this is another online store where you can find your tempeh, especially if you do not mind tempeh in jars.
- Tempewala: this is another online food marketplace, specially made to serve vegans, tempewala is dedicated to serving you the best tempeh you need. You can keep it at room temperature for up to 3 days and store it in your freezer for a long period.
- Target: you can purchase your tempeh here and have it delivered to you or pick it up at a physical store close to you.
- Fresh direct: this is another great place to find tempeh. You can place your order and have it delivered to you, depending on your location.
- Wholefoods online: this online store only sells Better Nature Tempeh; Better Nature is an Indonesian/British company. they are based in the UK. Your tempeh comes in a vacuum pack and they offer next-day delivery.
What does tempeh taste like?
Tempeh has a strong nutty/mushroom flavor; it also has a chunky texture. It has the tendency to absorb the flavor of whatever food it is added to. Its taste is stronger than that of tofu.
Tempeh is a great meal and if you haven’t tasted it, you should buy one and eat it. As earlier said, it is not only for vegetarians but can serve as a replacement for meat for vegetarians. if you will be purchasing tempeh online, please make sure the online market places you’re buying from can reach your location. Otherwise, choose an online store that is in your city.
Read next: Is Eating Pineapple Good For Cholesterol?