How do I water a vertical pallet garden? Vertical gardening is a type of gardening that has been used in use for a very long time, a vertical garden simply means to grow plants upward instead of the conventional way which is planting on the ground. They are usually against a structure, for example, a wall, posts, fences, stacked pots, shelves, etc. Recently, a popular way to grow vertical gardens is using pallets.
A pallet garden is simply using wood as a bed for your plants, usually horizontal and used to prevent weeds.
Building and planting your own vertical pallet garden is easy but the important question is how do you water a vertical pallet garden? All the plants must receive enough water to keep them healthy hence read on to understand more about the benefits of a pallet garden and how to water it.
Benefits Of Pallet Garden
There are so many benefits to vertical pallet gardens and this is especially for those who live in urban settlements where there is little or no space. Some of the benefits of vertical pallet gardening are as follow;
- The most important benefit is that a vertical pallet garden is great for people who do not have a lot of space, either indoor or in their environment. It doesn’t require much space like regular gardening.
- You can garden both indoor and outdoor. You can garden inside your house, which wasn’t too common before.
- It adds so much colour to your home. Regardless of the plant, you choose to grow, one great benefit of plants is the colour they possess, having this colour in your living room or anywhere in your house, adds to the beauty of your home.
- It is less expensive. For one, you may not have to worry about how to get your pallet because they are places who give them for free, also you only have to get your soil and seed, and you don’t have to spend a lot of money on doses of fertilizers.
- They are movable, you can decide that you don’t like the location of your vertical pallet garden and you’ll want it elsewhere, they’re mostly light, so off you move!
- Almost anything can be planted in your vertical pallet garden. i.e. Flowers, vegetables, and herbs can all be grown in a vertical garden, such as salad greens, dwarf peas, bush beans, parsley, thyme, basil, rosemary, edible flowers.
- You also do not have to wait for a particular season to grow your favourite vegetable or plant. They can be grown all year round.
N.B: this can depend on where it is located.
Seeing all the benefits of a vertical pallet garden, you may want to hurry to grow yours. However, just like everything good, you need to pay attention to certain things, so you’ll get your desired result.
An example of this is watering your vertical pallet garden. Water is very important to the growth of your plant, just like sunlight and air. Because you are not planting in a conventional garden, you also cannot water the same way.
How do I water a vertical pallet garden?
Watering a vertical pallet garden isn’t hard but sometimes can pose a big issue for anyone who doesn’t understand it well. You’re caught between the soil getting too dry before you water or adding too much and then becomes soggy.
You need to make sure water is at the minimum with this system of gardening because it doesn’t require so much water.
Watering your plants depends on the situation of the plant. It is advisable to check on your plant every day or every 2 days. This is so you’ll know if it is moist or if it’s almost drying out. If your plant is moist, then it is perfectly fine and not “thirsty”. However, if your plant is almost drying out, then it should be watered.
Note: you should not wait for your plant to completely dry out before you water them. Also if your plant still has a lot of moisture, do not water or this will lead to your soil getting soggy.
How to water your plant?
There are two main ways you can water your plants in a vertical pallet garden.
1. Hand watering system
This is considered the best way to water your vertical pallet garden. It allows you to watch your garden every time you water them, take note of how your plant is faring, and you can put the right amount of water at the right time. You can water manually with the use of a long spout watering can because of height.
2. Deep irrigation system
This system is suitable for people who do not have the time to hand water their plant every day or every time it is required. This is always installed before adding your plants to your pallet garden. It is a system of tubing that drops water on your plant in a small quantity, where it is needed. It also prevents water waste. It is also suitable for people who live in places where water is scarce.
Watering your vertical pallet garden isn’t a problem if you know just what to do. It is important to pay attention to the kind of plant that is in your garden, some plants require a lot of water, while some do not. Pallet vertical gardens can be staked or trellis to grow upwards and flowers, vegetables and herbs can be planted to save space in your vertical garden.